Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Fitting the Pieces Together"

As one more way to put into practice what we have learned in our Learning Theories and Instruction class, here are my answers to specific questions that make me think further about my own learning process.

A. Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?

Learning styles change within a lesson, imagine how much they change within a lifetime! It all boils down to “it depends”. During week 1 of my first online class on Learning Theories and Instruction, I wrote “I learn best in a fun, hands-on way that will give me understanding of new information and for this one to be not only meaningful but useful.” This continues to be true. However, “it depends” and here are the factors:

My learning style may change within a lesson depending on:
• The learning environment and teaching method (Gilbert, J., & Swanier, C., 2008).
• My own “upbringing, heredity and current environmental demands” (Gilbert, J., & Swanier, C., 2008).
• How I have developed my multiple intelligences and the relation these have within the content I am studying (Gardner, H., 2000).
• The goals I set for myself in relation to the information being learned (Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K., 2003)
• My knowledge of the technology being used.

B. What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?

Cognitivism – Metacognition
I have learned that the more I think about how I learn the more effective my learning is. My metacognition is “on” most of the time and I do not use that information solely for my own learning, but for my teaching also. Furthermore, I have learned that figuring out how to solve a problem as well as solving the problem, is learning. Focusing on the process of solving a problem and not the end result has led me to value that process even more (Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J., 1993)

Constructivism and Social Learning
Constructing my own knowledge based on social interaction is a new way of thinking for me. When I was in college, I used to think of learning as something that I did mostly by myself. I have now learned that learning does not happen with me reading the information, but during the interactions that occur before, during and after reading the information (Kim, B., 2001). The value of the learned information comes into play when put into a social context and this goes hand in hand with learning in collaboration from other people in a social setting (Kim, B., 2001).

Andragogy
From Knowles’ andragogy theory as cited by Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K. (2003) the theory is designed to describe adult learning. I have a set of goals and I learn taking into consideration my life experiences. Motivation is present and but I cannot direct my own learning. I do not know enough in the field of instructional design and need the guidance and structure of experts in the field.
 
C. What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?
Social Media
Semple, A. (2000) states ”A teacher well versed in the various theories of learning, with a thorough knowledge of his or her students and a high level of competence in using and applying a range of educational technologies, will create appropriate learning environments.”

One of the purposes for me to get involved in the community of instructional designers is to learn to “create appropriate learning environment” (Semple, A., 2000) through technology. I am working towards accomplishing the level of knowledge necessary, theoretical and technical to achieve my goal.

Since I like to learn “hands-on”, it was only fitting that I decided to take online classes. This step allowed me to include
technology as part of my reality as a learner and therefore include experiential learning in the process (Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K., 2003). I have discovered the value of collective learning through technology.

Within this experience also came along a different way of collecting and looking for information. Instead of a notebook or 3X5 cards for taking notes, I am using word documents. Instead of different notebooks or a binder with sections, I am using different files. Instead of physically going to a library, I am “login-in” at the library. I am amazed at all the resources I have been able to find through our on-line access to the library. I love going to the library, and now I love “login-in” also.

 
Resources

 
Semple, A. (2000). Learning theories and their influence on the development and use of educational technologies. Australian Science Teachers Journal, 46(3), 21. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Gilbert, J., & Swanier, C. (2008). Learning styles: How do they fluctuate? Institute for Learning Styles Journal [Vol. l]. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~witteje/ilsrj/Journal%20Volumes/Fall%202008%20Volume%201%20PDFs/Learning%20Styles%20How%20do%20They%20Fluctuate.pdf
 
Gardner, H. (2000) Can Technology Exploit Our Many Ways of Knowing?. As found in http://www.howardgardner.com/index.html
 
Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism.. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved Feb. 18, 2011 from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/
 
Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50–71

 
Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K. (2003). Adult learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Adult_Learning

 


No comments: